February 15th, 2016

wait what?

Okay Valentine's was on Sunday but it's TECHNICALLY Valentine's Day as I queue this update so here are some silly RW valentines I made and if you click the blue button down there and vote you'll get more scribbly valentines nonsense!! :D

Comment by The Rancid

Awww yiss, I was waiting for the day that Tarri's lipreading skills would come in handy!

I almost expected her to be alarmed by the giant bloodstains on that guy's clothes but meh, she's seen too much for a bit of blood to unnerve her. :P

posted at 12:03am on February 15th, 2016

Reply by Adam

Why should she be surprised? She saw him haul Sev to the healer, she knows where the bloodstains come from.

posted at 9:48am on February 15th, 2016

Reply by Adam

Oh, and it was pretty inevitable that Tareth's lip-reading would become useful. It's one of those skills that writers love to make use of.

posted at 3:47am on February 16th, 2016

idk man, I wouldn't say it's only just now becoming useful -- she's been using it this whole time! ;u;

posted at 4:20pm on February 18th, 2016

Reply by Adam

I think he means that this is the first time where lip-reading isn't just compensating for her deafness, but an advantage.

posted at 9:24am on February 19th, 2016

Reply by The Rancid

Yes, thank you, sorry, that's exactly what I meant. XP

posted at 11:58pm on February 21st, 2016

Comment by NoRAd

Geez, way to blow your cover, Tareth. Gosh.

posted at 3:20am on February 15th, 2016

I'm so excited to get to know more about our frohawk friend!

posted at 6:23am on February 15th, 2016

Yay, new page! Yay, new character!
So, is (s)he (???) muted behind the force-field or does (s)he have some other impediment?
Also... is it a he or a she or... maybe them?

re vote incentive: I'm sure this has been done before, but so Jonan is basically Fluttershy, isn't he? I mean we already know that he is a Disney princess. But he also has the power of TEH STARE!

posted at 8:19am on February 15th, 2016

The priest refers to her as "her" up there so it's safe to say that she/her works. :") But yeah, she is a girl!

re: fluttershy: I mean, I GUESS, but like, Fluttershy's element is,,,,kindness??? WHATEVER VIRTUES JONAN MAY POSSESS, KINDNESS, IS NOT ONE OF THEM,,,

posted at 11:52am on February 15th, 2016

Oh I guess I glossed over the pronouns... Hungarian 7n gender neutral so even after all these years I still mess them up randomly or fail to pay attention to them.

Re Jonan: BUT COME ON WE ALL KNOW HE'S A SOFTY INSIDE XD *kidding bc it's so absurd

posted at 3:30pm on February 15th, 2016

LOOK HE CAN BE A SOFTIE INSIDE ALL DAY LONG BUT HE'S NOT KIND, KIND IS NOT A THING THAT HE IS
(I actually had him down as Rarity)

posted at 4:21pm on February 18th, 2016

But Rarity IS kindness incarnate, isn't she? I mean at least she values kindness, she has some inside of her. ...Admittedly she is also a whiney, bossy, forceful person with a sense for style...

WELL THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE, BUT I'M NOT HERE TO MAKE SENSE, I'M HERE FOR CHEAP LAUGHS!
:P

posted at 7:28am on February 19th, 2016

oh wait... Rarity is generosity... My MLP knowledge is kinda rusty. (which is a good thing for a 27 yo male right???)

posted at 7:30am on February 19th, 2016

Reply by Adam

No, Jonah is many things but fabulous he ain't. And that is a requirement to be even close to Rarity.
Generous he hasn't been either, the only time he displayed any was to people that helped him. So, at best he is not ungrateful.

posted at 1:43pm on February 20th, 2016

Reply by Adam

Maybe this experience will change that and teach him kindness.

I also like how Jonah is an example of a magic-user who decided to get involved in politics by his power alone. And how people fear the result.

posted at 6:16am on February 17th, 2016

Yaaaaay Tarri's lipreading!

I do wonder so much about this character, and I'm happy that we're probs gonna find out more about her!

posted at 9:29am on February 15th, 2016

Comment by Adam

What I wonder about the girl is the logistics. How does she get food and water? What about those two when it comes out? How does she bathe, she is wearing clean clothes how does that work? How did the book get inside as it is leaning on the forcecube?

Either this is very recent or she can get stuff trough.

posted at 9:36am on February 15th, 2016

Reply by PaleSheep

My hypothesis is that, since force fields are evidently part of her ability, she has some sort of 'break forcefield' rune that opens a hole in it... But like Jonan trying to cut his mouth open, it's not sufficient to completely remove the miscast one. So as long as she has a supply of rune material to write on, she can get the necessities, but they have to be timed really well while the window is open.

I guess they just... Send in a bedpan or a bucket when nature calls... Then take it back out. Fun job for someone.

posted at 10:04am on February 15th, 2016

Reply by BaufenBeast

Seems as reasonable an explanation as any.

posted at 11:58am on February 15th, 2016

It's been a while so I'll remind you guys of panel 1 of this page. :")

posted at 12:10pm on February 15th, 2016

Reply by PaleSheep

Ahh right! Okay... New theory. The forcefield has a... Time dilation effect... So she's basically preserved? Doesn't need food or water because biologically time isn't passing? (the biology major in me is hollering that since she's able to move and talk, biological functions are happening and consuming energy ergo she should need food, but *fiction = suspension of disbelief*)

posted at 12:19pm on February 15th, 2016

Reply by Adam

I would argue that time dilation is not in effect. Otherwise she would not be able to keep up with the conversation that is happening right now.

So, yeah, I would go with the idea that she can get stuff temporarily in and out, but can't undo the cage she is in.

You know, the fact that she has been like this for years actually speaks badly for the chances of someone able to fix miscasts. Which does not tell good things about Jonan.

posted at 5:44am on February 16th, 2016

Reply by garbud

well you need to be able to get to the rune to fix it wouldn't you? or at least to the person its effecting

posted at 9:24pm on February 17th, 2016

Reply by Adam

Yes, but if she can get stuff inside the cage (and she has to, she has clean clothes, she seems very well-fed, has air and even a pet in that thing despite being in it for years) then someone could also access it.

The only restriction I can think of would be that it filters out living tissue but that can be gotten around with a pair of iron or wooden rods with ink-brushes on the end.
Or that she needs to create another cage to access the one she is in. That would mean that anyone trying to fix the rune (where is it? on her head?) would also be trapped with her, a risk others might not take. But then you can still get around that by just having her fix the rune and providing/telling her how to do it.

How this works is an interesting question because it kind of contradicts itself. Either nothing can get in or out, as the priest said, and she is doomed because she can't get food, water, air, etc. She would definitely would have not lasted years. Or she can get stuff in (and considering she is not sitting in her own feces, also out) of that cage somehow, just not able to turn it off.

posted at 9:30am on February 18th, 2016

oh my goodness what is happening over here xD

I'll clarify that runes typically disappear after casting, which is why Sev keeps having to write new ones. When you cast a rune, the resulting spell could be short-lived or last a really long time or even be permanent, but the rune is spent in the casting!

posted at 4:22pm on February 18th, 2016

Reply by Adam

I take it that this is the more longer-lasting one. The solution, I take it, is to have somebody that can figure out what rune she messed up and know a rune to cancel it (or at least, that's what they assume the solution to be).

I've read trough the archives twice but I forgot about the runes disappearing and being used up. I got so worked up about the priest contradicting himself (herself?) that I kind of forgot about the rules already established. I shouldn't have done that, priests contradicting themselves is a professional hazard.

posted at 9:23am on February 19th, 2016

You know, I dont think it is a "fact" that she HAS BEEN in there for years.
The panel 1 of the page Shazzbaa linked says - and I quote-
"She is locked inside that miscast forcefield for years."

since we don't really know the context, this could easily mean
"She has just performed the miscast right now, and now she is stuck inside for the future years."
Of course we assumed it means "She HAS BEEN locked in there for years." but that was not said explicitly. And I think that's what happened. You know it also makes sense that the hunters just showed up, I think they seek fresh miscasts (like Sev and that mindbender guy).

I could be wrong though.

posted at 7:38am on February 19th, 2016

Reply by rainycity1

I had assumed up until this page that she was frozen within her force field. Obviously that is not true. Interesting development...

posted at 11:57am on February 16th, 2016

If you had to pick voice actors for the Runewriters cast, who do you think you might want?

Like, do they have different accents? Does Jonan just sound like Frollo?

posted at 9:47am on February 15th, 2016

Oh man, I'm no good at picking voice actors MOSTLY B/C I DON'T KNOW MANY but as far as voices:

I imagine Sev's speaking style being very close to Michael Swaim from Cracked.com's After Hours show, though obv it'd be preferable to get someone closer to Sev's ethnicity just to avoid white-guy-plays-person-of-colour. I don't imagine him with an accent.

The voice I imagine for Tareth is actually REALLY close to Deanne Bray (she was in Heroes I think & was also the main character in Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye), though I feel like she'd have a stronger deaf accent.

Everyone wants Jonan to be Tony Jay or Alan Rickman, and that's fine, but my headcanon voice for him is high-pitched; more of a sneering vizier than a commanding dark lord. Jafar-when-excited kinda works, though Annas from the original Jesus Christ Superstar movie (the second-in-command pharisee that sings soprano) is absolutely how I'd cast a singing voice for him.

I haven't picked an example voice for Xira actually; he just needs to sound like a teenager with a soft voice. I don't picture him with an accent but I'd be a-OK with him getting cast with one.

Quentin is from the Ayton Islands and Esra's of mixed descent from the same, so since Ayton is basically England I usually picture them with British-English accents. I could probably come up with a bunch of reasons why this doesn't actually make sense (The main characters are speaking Var├Žnski, not English) but I'm not gonna think too hard about that right now. xD

posted at 4:03pm on February 15th, 2016

Comment by Riverfox237

Oh my GOODNESS. This POOR WOMAN. Trapped in a bubble (I still dont' understand how she eats, drinks, or...uses the facilities) without being able to be heard. The isolationism would be terrible. This is obviously kind of huge for her. WAY TO GO TARRI HELPING PEOPLE WITH YOUR MAD SKILLZ

...I really do want to know how she does those other things, though. They're kind of, y'know, Important. Maybe someone has teleportation magic?

posted at 5:38pm on February 15th, 2016

Comment by Elles Belles

Is it just wishful thinking for me that I hope Tarri and Sev actually do fall in love over the course of the comic? I'm a sucker for romance.

Otherwise, great page! However, I wonder: how does this girl eat in that box, or do anything for that matter?

posted at 12:24pm on February 16th, 2016

Reply by Adam

Hard to say. They do like each other but I get the "brother-sister" vibe from them, which may be even partially true if the two known each other for a long time.
If I were in the shipping mood, I'd go Tareth/Xira relationship. He already sees past her deafness and seems to like her. And she seems to be likely willing to accept his witchiness. I kind of get that spark between them.
But really, who knows. The story doesn't have much of a romantic feel to it, at least not so far.

posted at 1:25pm on February 16th, 2016

Comment by Baine

So, They can't hear her through the forcefield, but she can hear them? I'm confused.

posted at 7:11pm on February 16th, 2016

Reply by Lynx-Eye

Or maybe she can't hear them, either, and has only been able to read lips? She acts like Tareth is the first lip-reader she's seen outside the cube.

posted at 2:22am on February 17th, 2016

Comment by MagpieM

Terribly excited that we might soon learn more about she of the frohawk. Her box looks tiny. Among other concerns, I hope she gets out soon and can stretch her legs. She seems to managing to take care of other needs...somehow...but not being able to stretch out or move much would eventually drive me nuts.

(...Actually, she's looking pretty frantic for communication there. Now I'm wondering if they have charades in this world. I'm just....gonna imagine everyone playing charades now...)

posted at 7:14pm on February 16th, 2016

YEAH I AGREE, I'd wanna stretch my legs!! :[ I think somewhere in my notes the dimensions of the forcefield are listed as "not quite big enough to stand up"

(also charades with this crew sounds amazing)

posted at 4:26pm on February 18th, 2016

Ooh, I love the touch of having her rune pseudo-tattoo thing visible!

posted at 5:29pm on February 17th, 2016

Aaaahhh thank you!! *u*

posted at 4:33pm on February 18th, 2016

Comment by Karma Squirrel

"You can understand me? Do you read lips?"
"am... i not supposed to understand you? and yeah, i read lips."

posted at 5:35pm on September 21st, 2017