July 4th, 2011

Happy 4th of July! Have some...fireworks?

And if you'd like to see the making of this MONSTROUS double-page, you can see my progress shots in the vote incentive!

Comment by Steph

AHHHFFFF THAT LOOKS SO COOL.

posted at 12:08am on July 4th, 2011

Comment by Bobbi

GAH! Something went wrong!!

posted at 12:25am on July 4th, 2011

Comment by Nziz

Ohh, he is so gonna get whomped by the good guys -- he didn't even warn them... *shakes finger at him* Think these things through, you fool!

posted at 2:00am on July 4th, 2011

Thinking things through: not Severian's forte.

posted at 6:50pm on July 6th, 2011

Comment by Robinwing

Wait, I can see how that's happened. If we assume that spells go wrong if the runes are tampered wiii...

Waaaaiiiit he used the one on his EARING for the dragon change, and SAID the one he had on himself was for an aberrant!

He still hasn't thought this through, but at least we know he meant to look like that.

posted at 2:53am on July 4th, 2011

Hahahaha, nice! He DID say it would be an aberrant, it's true. :3

posted at 11:35pm on July 6th, 2011

Reply by Robinwing

It can actually have more sense made of it. Sev told Tareth that if she saw a tentacled beastie she was to run. Said tentacled beastie is currently not tentacled, thus, Sev turns into a tentacled beastie, so Tareth will run.

posted at 3:04am on July 7th, 2011

Comment by Nameless

I'm going to miss the normal non-tentacled severian and draco-severian :c

posted at 7:08am on July 4th, 2011

Comment by asdf

Spoilery alt-text.

I am thoroughly concerned about what it implies.

posted at 7:10am on July 4th, 2011

Reply by Dude

Well, I was wondering that too. But maybe it doesn't mean that Severian is stuck as an aberrant or anything. Maybe that was a "one time use" rune, and now it's gone.

posted at 10:39am on July 4th, 2011

I WILL NEITHER CONFIRM NOR DENY but I will point out that I've stopped drawing runes on his earrings since he cast them. :3

posted at 10:51am on July 4th, 2011

Reply by Bobbi

Shazz you are a cruel mistress... why do you do these things to us...?

posted at 1:05am on July 5th, 2011

Reply by Robinwing

AND I ONLY JUST FOUND OUT THAT THERE IS ALT TEXT

PERFECT EXCUSE TO REREAD

posted at 11:59am on January 3rd, 2015

Comment by vampirefreak

Epic comic is epic!

posted at 9:49am on July 4th, 2011

Comment by Cloud

She has eyes in her cloak. And is going after Tareth! Oh no! Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd she doesn't notice. Poor girl. She's gonna miss the action! At least until people see Sev and go "AHHHHH" and run away. Then she'll probably notice. XD

posted at 2:41pm on July 4th, 2011

Comment by Meggyc

Double page!!

That last panel is extremely awesome. Actually, the whole transformation sequence is scary-awesome. I really love the gnarled fingers.

posted at 6:27pm on July 4th, 2011

Aaaaaaaah, thank you! It was fun to draw (if EXTREMELY CHALLENGING)! XD

posted at 11:36pm on July 6th, 2011

Comment by keith_m043

Ok, so what I'm trying to figure out now is whether the tentacleyness of Severian in the last frame is part of what he transformed into, or part of the facestealer (Sev got infected in the previous encounter?)

posted at 12:12pm on July 6th, 2011

Comment by Hiai

Oh no! Sev is a wee bit too impulsive for a guy with well-armed demon hunters following him!This does not bode well for either him or Tareth!

posted at 11:10pm on July 6th, 2011

Comment by Nerrin

The more I look at this the more ghastly Sev's transformation and new form become. I think the real kicker is that the skull on his aberrant form almost looks like it has a pained, kind of distressed expression. (That one arm that looks mostly-like-it's-still-his-only-not-quite is also oddly effective.)

posted at 5:04pm on July 7th, 2011

Comment by Spike

I guess it would be spammy if I just wrote out an extended "Yaaaaay!" since you're finally doing the Runewriters comic. But just so you know, I'm thinking it. :D

I like the empty bubbles in Tareth's panel. Is it just me, or does she look older than how you used to draw her?

posted at 7:40pm on July 7th, 2011

Omigosh! Hi there, you! It is good to hear from you again! :"D AND YESSSSSSSSS I KNOW AFTER YEARS AND YEARS. Ahhh I'm so pleased you're excited for this!

And thanks! I did age her up a little; she and Sev are supposed to be reasonably close in age. She still looks younger than 17, I think, but that is just because she is like me and will look like a little kid forever.

posted at 12:14am on July 8th, 2011

Comment by Zimmay

Anyone who has played D&D with Shazz finds everything on these pages normal. Her characters are probably just rolling natural 1's right off the bat.

posted at 10:00pm on July 7th, 2011

I think that is a theme of my comic. Instead of "Magic can always go wrong" I should just say "Everyone rolls a natural one sometimes." I think that would.... be pretty fitting actually. XD

posted at 12:16am on July 8th, 2011

Comment by Randy

I hope the Hunters saw his transformation, or else mistakes will be made. Especially if the real one stays disguised, since it may have just walked right past them without any of them noticing it

Also, I know the feeling. My rolls during any given session will be either "completely average" or "fail, fail, fail, fail, fail hard, fail, fail, WIN BIG".

posted at 10:18pm on July 10th, 2011

Comment by Jennifer

I came here from dA and you're so going into my comic bookmarks. Apart from all the monsters and fights, I love the signing and how you handle Tareth's deafness. Also, epic cloak with eyes is epic. I'm going to ask my GM if I can have one of those (along with a Van Helsing-style repeating crossbow).

posted at 2:03am on July 12th, 2011

Oh man, thank you so much! *u*

And dangit. Now I want that cloak, too.

posted at 1:21am on July 14th, 2011

Comment by rainycity1

Oh, ho! I saw the tentacle marks this time around. That explains so much.... ;-)

posted at 12:05am on July 2nd, 2012

Comment by Grumpy Old Snake

First time through the comic I seriously thought something had gone horribly wrong with the aberrant rune, or that the transformation just simply wasn't meant to be, and Seth was about to die a horrible death. It still looks incredibly uncomfortable. O_o

posted at 9:11pm on March 13th, 2013

Comment by Cari

That design is awesome in a grotesque way.

posted at 12:00am on April 24th, 2013

Comment by SotiCoto

So a shapeshifting rune-dude takes the default form of another shapeshifting monster in order to fight one... and shouty man is going to come across this mess of tentacles and eyes, and will most likely go all Ordo Malleus on it.

posted at 6:18am on March 9th, 2016