October 17th, 2017

im sure he's fine.

And don't forget to vote for an extra doodle! This one is just a little extra conversation.

Comment by ShinyHappyGoth

Good. Good. Low-phlogiston is good.

posted at 12:38am on October 17th, 2017

Comment by KIRI

HELLO I LIKE THIS PAGE A LOT. A+ spooky lighting!! Esra's GENUINE SURPRISE (??) AND CONCERN!! HIS FACE IN PANEL THREE!! Quentin's face in panel two!! His thank you!!! The old dude's sympathies!! (How does the rest of the Order generally feel about Quentin???) I AM HAVING SOME FEELINGS.

posted at 12:39am on October 17th, 2017

Reply by Kiri

Followup: ALSO I love that smoky candle plume.

Re: vote incentive, perhaps it's Esra who should consider delegating Quentin is too far gone for this world.

posted at 1:15am on October 17th, 2017

Comment by MagpieM

Quentin looks soooo tired. Go take a nap, dude. Give your brain time to recharge.

Also, I just noticed you're matching your speech bubbles to the environment/lighting. And that's pretty neat.

posted at 12:44am on October 17th, 2017

Comment by dooddreams

Aw, people carrying about people under stress really warms my heart <3 Also the speech bubble color-changing thing is super cool?? Like heck yeah, subtle breaks in the fourth wall

posted at 12:48am on October 17th, 2017

Comment by Quini

Hmmmm, Quentin and Esra kind of seem to be workaholics in different ways :' D

Also side note- the lighting and such on this page is just so unusually ambient?? It's like...a really cool half-weary, half-serene mood that's really nice to look at.

posted at 1:39am on October 17th, 2017

Reply by The Wing

I agree entirely on the ambience of Quentin's office! This whole scene, from the first page a couple of weeks ago, has been so delicately coloured. The lighting in Esra's office was lovely as well, with that pale, cool sunlight streaming in. It's just been so subtle and tranquil.

The lighting of the last chapter was fantastic, and I particularly enjoyed it during the facestealer scenario, but I think it's even better now. Apparently that's possible, though it always surprises me when things can upgrade from perfect to perfect version 2.0. :)

posted at 3:07am on October 17th, 2017

Comment by The Wing

Aw, another paper ball to add to the collection. :( It suddenly struck me how much pressure Quentin must be feeling at the age of twenty-three and already head of the Order. And I don't know how he got there in the first place, but whether it was luck, birthright, or genius (though I'm slightly inclined toward birthright given that his name is literally Agorath), he has way too much on his shoulders. I wonder if he feels constantly patronised by his own age and lack of experience and tries to compensate by working himself to death.

There are some things you feel like you'd know - if you were any older, wiser, or smarter. It can drive you crazy if that really gets to you. Every moment you have to suffer being unable to solve a problem is a moment of intense self-disappointment. I know some people like that, and I hope Quentin isn't one of them. :(

At least Esra seems to understand. Or at least respect his need for time and singular focus.

posted at 2:59am on October 17th, 2017