December 19th, 2017

given your track record so far that's hONESTLY A GOOD QUESTION...

And as always, you can vote! for an extra doodle! This one ponders Æmber's previous visits.

ALSO: it's come to my attention that next weeks update would fall on, uh.... right after Christmas Day. So! there's a good chance there will just be a filler image for that. BUT AFTER THAT WE SHOULD BE BACK IN BUSINESS AGAIN!!

Comment by MagpieM

I love Tareth's determination to teach Jonan some fricking sign language already. If she has to sign about corpses, then, by golly, she'll sign about corpses!

Also, it's never a bad time for a handsign lesson, Sev. What are you even talking about.

posted at 1:21am on December 19th, 2017

Reply by Galev

Haha, yes! I love that part too! :D

By the way, I think some of the words she is signing are italicized for emphasis, right? So this makes me think, how do you do emphasis or tonal difference in sign language?
Though I guess even with speech, we use a lot of meta-communication and gestures to add emphasis, so I guess body language can convey that.

posted at 2:31am on December 19th, 2017

Reply by eoforyth

Good question - I don't know (and would like to), but more emphatic gesticulation and other body language seems logical.

Be interesting to see Jonan's usual sarcasm at work through signing :D

posted at 3:05am on December 19th, 2017

Reply by The Quiet One

I am not a native ASL user or sign language expert by far. But I can tell you from what I do know that emphasis in ASL can be done a lot of different ways - by varying the speed of a sign, the size of it, repeating it, adding facial expressions, etc.

posted at 12:32pm on December 19th, 2017

Comment by eoforyth

Not sure about the looks on Jonan's face in the first two panels - he looks a touch annoyed initially, then... interested? Perhaps his default in situations he isn't on top form with is to assume people are being condescending or something. Certainly I can see him appreciating increased fluency in his current state, though.

And Tareth is sweet, and a little pragmatic. I love her reply to Sev! Not as if he could be teaching Jonan hand signing at the moment, either.

Here in the UK the day after Christmas Day is called Boxing Day :) Have a Merry Christmas (in advance)

posted at 3:22am on December 19th, 2017

Jonan is that weird kid that did poorly in class, not because he lacked intelligence, but because he was bored. Tareth is the teacher who found out his particular interest *coughnecromancycough* and then proceeded meet him halfway on every single assignment by giving him prompts related to that interest.

posted at 9:33am on December 19th, 2017

Comment by Darsara

Right... those two weren't there for the last run-in Sev & Tarri had with a moon wolf. Well, I'm sure that this time will go fine, with nothing interesting what so ever.

posted at 10:01am on December 19th, 2017

Comment by Jess

I love the vote incentive. Toddler Æmber is so cute. “But Mom… Puppies!” LOL

Also, maybe it’s just me, but I love the fact that she has two moms. I guess I like it because there aren’t a lot of webcomics out there with two moms or two dads.

Although, it does remind me of that character in The Otherknown who has a husband and a wife. If I remember correctly, she married him & had a daughter with him & then they both married the second wife either while she was away from home or just before she left home. Of course, in that example, polyamory is also positively represented.

posted at 5:50am on December 20th, 2017

Comment by Chrysalis

It's fine, everything will be fine. As long as they don't run into THAT ONE MUULORN. And what are the odds of that, right?

(Please tell me they run into that one Muulorn, she's my favorite)

posted at 12:36am on December 21st, 2017

Comment by Sharsarannon

OKay Tareth wins for the very best single line in the entire comic so far.

posted at 6:21pm on December 26th, 2017