January 3rd, 2017

come on Jonan, Æmber's on board!

As always, don't forget to vote for an extra doodle! this one is about why Sev's question could've been more...thoughtful...

Also!! The next page that goes up still needs to be coloured... if anyone would like to hang out while I colour it, I was thinking I might jump on Picarto this Thursday evening and stream it? Probably around 8pm EST, but I'll definitely update on twitter and tumblr to keep you guys posted!

It's okay, Sev, I don't hold my chopsticks correctly either.

posted at 12:06am on January 3rd, 2017

i'm really not sure what the correct way to hold chopsticks with tentacles is tbh

posted at 12:50am on January 3rd, 2017

Reply by Chrysalis

I suspect the correct way to use chopsticks with tentacles is to put the chopsticks down and get a spoon.

posted at 12:53am on January 3rd, 2017

Comment by Salaru

Link to vote doesn't work, but got a working one for ya here from my History list. http://topwebcomics.com/vote/12637

posted at 12:39am on January 3rd, 2017

Psst, guys, any time I mess up the typed link or leave it out, you can always just click the blue "Top Comics" box at the bottom of the post! It goes to the same place, and it's an automatic part of the page. : )

posted at 12:49am on January 3rd, 2017

Reply by Salaru

Sowwy

posted at 1:14am on January 3rd, 2017

Comment by Chrysalis

"His versions of the signs come from magic..." I can think of a few different ways to interpret this, all of them intriguing.

Does this mean that runewriting can be done with gestures instead of two-dimensional written symbols? A hand sign is a symbol too, after all, and there's already a spoken-word component to runewriting. (It would be interesting to know how a deaf runewriter would handle that, especially one who hadn't learned how to speak the way Tareth has. Come to think of it, how would a blind runewriter work? Would they have to use some soft material, like wax or wood, that they could carve the runes into instead of using ink? Could they shape runes out of wire or clay?)

Or does Tareth mean that the founder of the school somehow used magic to obtain or develop the handsign language? If so, does that mean that the Runewriters world can somehow pick up things from our world? (I've been assuming that the handsigns, like the spoken words, are translated into languages from our world for reader convenience, but what if...?)

Alternately, there could just be some other method of magic that uses gestures - ritual magic seems to possibly involve them, though we don't yet know much about the nuts and bolts of how rituals are performed - and that's all Tareth means. Wild conjecture is still fun, though.

posted at 12:52am on January 3rd, 2017

Reply by Random Passerby

Also "his versions"? Do you think this world might, like our world, have more than one version of Handsign?

posted at 3:25pm on January 3rd, 2017

there would definitely be other versions of signs either way -- not everyone who needs sign language is gonna be able to learn the Standardised Version(s). There likely would've been localised sign language systems before Handsign, and given how splintered Var├Žnske's city-states tends to be, those local versions are probably still used in many places!

(also: I love and welcome wild conjecture!!! :D )

posted at 7:25pm on January 3rd, 2017

Comment by Chrysalis

Also, now I can't stop picturing squirrel Jonan doing handsign with his tiny paws.

posted at 12:57am on January 3rd, 2017

Comment by The Wing

I am having enormous sympathy pangs for Jonan. Is nobody even thinking about how infuriating it feels to watch people eat when you're hungry? It's like they've forgotten he is a functioning human being, which is understandable, but come on guys. :(

posted at 5:41am on January 3rd, 2017

I mean

he's not complaining

posted at 8:40pm on January 3rd, 2017

Reply by Why?!?!

That was savage.

posted at 3:56am on January 4th, 2017

Ooh, Jonan might get the chance to be the wordiest character WITHOUT paper!

posted at 3:26pm on January 3rd, 2017

I love the sign you came up with for Aberrant and the research you put into it, very cool. :D

posted at 7:39pm on January 4th, 2017

Aw thanks, but all credit for that definitely goes to the people who suggested it! : )

posted at 5:46pm on January 5th, 2017

Comment by Himochi

Oh hey, I finally caught up! <3 Now I can join everyone else in... waiting for updates. :O !!!

(...maybe I'll reread it in the meantime.

posted at 10:27am on January 8th, 2017

HAHA THE WITHDRAWAL BEGINS

(omg thanks for giving it a read himochi!! I HOPE YOU ENJOY! *u* )

posted at 2:21pm on January 8th, 2017