February 8th, 2016

This will be fine, Necropony is well known for sitting still and following directions.

It's always awesome when voting resets for the month, but I really didn't expect RW to stay this high for this long! Thanks for voting, guys. :D If you click that blue box to vote this time, you'll get a little extra of that conversation!

Comment by The Rancid

Jonan is really good at sneaking, I almost don't believe it. How does he hide necropony? How does he hide necropony's STENCH? It makes me wonder how often he goes sneaking around...

Also yesss I know that little four-eyed face, I hope she'll get an introduction soon. :}

posted at 12:51am on February 8th, 2016

Reply by Kiri

Yes, I also wonder about Necropony's stench? Maybe it's not so bad since for the most part the zombies are DONE decomposing? They're no longer decomposing when they rise? I imagine that Jonan wouldn't want maggots and rancid flesh around the house, even if he likes zombies? So they're... sterilised zombies?? Maybe some of the live servants de-odor them sometimes.

posted at 1:46am on February 8th, 2016

Reply by MagpieM

I was reading back through the comic (and the vote incentives) this weekend so, apparently, zombies in this universe just smell kinda chemical-y and not of rot and death. But I still do not give them good odds for staying undetected despite Jonan's unexpectedly high stealth skill.

posted at 2:31am on February 8th, 2016

Yeah, other characters have complained about the smell, but we haven't seen anyone GAGGING in necropony's presence, so it's obviously not the actual smell of rot (because HOOO BOY THAT'S AN AWFUL SMELL). My zombie headcanon is that they do smell bad, but it's more, sort of weird and preserved.

I love the idea of like.... putting perfume and air-fresheners on your zombies tho. That's adorable.

(Maggots would be the fleas of the zombie world, one of your zombies gets 'em and you gotta decontaminate the whole house, UGH)

posted at 7:59pm on February 10th, 2016

Reply by Ghosty too

It probably smells like formaldehyde, or some other preservative. It probably keeps It from rotting any further, but if you've ever dissected something in biology you know it stinks to high heaven

posted at 10:58am on February 11th, 2016

Reply by The Rancid

I've dissected an animal that was alive less than an hour prior, so it didn't smell much worse than that thick, overpowering blood-stench.

posted at 1:33am on February 14th, 2016

It's a good thing there wasn't another patient behind that curtain. :O

....I wonder if Jonan has any particular use for Sev's blood on that arrow.

posted at 1:47am on February 8th, 2016

Comment by Tama

Runewriters is somewhere in the 50's on topwebcomics last time I checked! :D

posted at 2:16am on February 8th, 2016

Comment by AlpineBob

I'm glad you guys have been voting - that is how I noticed RW is updating again. Yay!

posted at 2:30am on February 8th, 2016

YES! Our numbers grow with every week! Muhahahhha! :D

posted at 3:06am on February 8th, 2016

Laughed so much at the last panel of the vote incentive :D This resonates well with the sentiment you posted on twitter "Healing is his cr@ppy day-job which he hates"
"Ugh, here we go again, I try to heal them and they just scream. Yeah, I might have severed a few nerves. So what, I'm going to mend them in a sec anyway."

On the actual page: I love how out of context, the 1st panel can be easily interpreted as is he is in the middle of stabbing someone.

And I think the lighting is done very well, I feel warm and sunny just looking at it.

posted at 3:02am on February 8th, 2016

LOL YEAH THAT'S ACCURATE "okay whatever I'm sure it hurts but like, it's going to be fixed perfectly so???? what's the big deal???????"

And ahhhhh thank you!! *u*

posted at 8:01pm on February 10th, 2016

Comment by toanovu

You know, I never really thought about it before this page, but it makes sense that some healers actually end up causing a lot more pain and heartache then necessary. There are probably several out there that have had very little to no actual medical training, based on what we've seen in the Runewriters culture. Runewriters are largely self-taught based no their own first runes and magic words.

Jonan DOES seem to know a lot about the human body, what with the emphasis on necromancy. BUT I think he'd be the type to focus on speed rather than patient comfort level; he wants to get the healings done as quickly as possible. The Rusanne people don't really have any other healers close by, so he can get away with being less than careful in his healings due to their lack of options.

posted at 7:00am on February 8th, 2016

THIS IS A REALLY GOOD DESCRIPTION ACTUALLY.
Jonan would know how to set a broken bone, remove an arrow, stitch up a wound, etc, but doing it in a minimally painful way isn't a high priority for a guy who'd rather be working with corpses.

posted at 8:07pm on February 10th, 2016

Jonan you're way too good at being stealthy, but I don't think your overall odds are good when you have necropony with you.

Also, WOW am I glad I never have to go to Jonan for healing. Good grief.

posted at 9:40am on February 8th, 2016

SAME, TBH???????

I'M SURE MAGICAL HEALING IS GREAT BUT SO ARE,,,PAINKILLERS,,,,,,

posted at 8:08pm on February 10th, 2016

Jonan is like the nurse that ripped off the gauze pad that accidentally fused with my knee.

posted at 11:04am on February 8th, 2016

Reply by Random Passerby

DB Owwwwwww

posted at 12:07pm on February 8th, 2016

THAT SOUNDS HORRIBLE :CCC

posted at 8:02pm on February 10th, 2016

Comment by The Quiet One

I LOL'd at the vote incentive. Though Jonan really must be a very good healer to get ANY patients, because if I were sick in his town, the necromantic healer that uses skulls in all of his decorating would be the LAST choice for me unless I were truly desperate.

Also, I sympathize with Tareth. I've been engrossed in something, only to slowly come to the realization that someone has been trying to get my attention for the last 15 seconds. Or if I'm really engrossed, the person will resort to touching me to try to get my attention, and I'll startle. HARD. Which freaks the other person out too.

Also also, I woke up very tired today and not enthusiastic about work, and then I remembered it was Monday and Runewriters would have a new panel posted. So I have at least one bright spot in my day!

posted at 12:20pm on February 8th, 2016

Yeahhhhhh there may be other medical professionals in Rusanne, but none with Jonan's level of magical healing. He's basically got a Doctor House thing going on -- good enough at what he does that he could be as much of a jerk as he likes.

But ahhhhhhhh thank you! I'M SO GLAD TO BRING HAPPINESS(???) TO MONDAY :>

posted at 8:13pm on February 10th, 2016

Comment by Aey

Ow. Looks like Jonan pulled out the shaft of the arrow, but broke off the arrowhead in the process? His disregard for proper medical procedure beyond magical fixes is pretty funny. That poor guy in the incentive...

If I was Tareth, I'd be mesmerized by all that stained glass too. I would love to take a walk through this church.

posted at 9:15pm on February 9th, 2016

(It's a crossbow bolt, they're shorter and a lot of them don't have an obvious barbed arrowhead so much as a pointy tip, so there's a lot less of a risk of that breaking off in Sev's arm. :> )

posted at 6:42pm on February 10th, 2016

Reply by The Rancid

You know interestingly - and I didn't know until I started reading Discworld - but crossbow bolts are also called 'quarrels'. I don't know why but I find that name so perfect! XD

posted at 1:37am on February 14th, 2016

Comment by Riverfox237

IS JONAN ACTUALLY HELPING SEV

THERE IS HOPE AFTER ALL

posted at 5:35pm on February 15th, 2016

Comment by Karma Squirrel

*laughs*
Behold the skill of the man who rolls his eyes SO HARD it makes noise.
Never you mind the man behind the curtain. Move along. Nothing to see here.

posted at 5:23pm on September 21st, 2017