October 31st, 2013

Happy Halloween everyone! :"D It's the second day of costumes so everyone switched it up! (I'M STILL NOT DONE WITH MY WORK BUT I SNEAKED OFF AND COLOURED THIS ANYWAY BECAUSE I LOVE YOU ALL <3 )

I'm really cramming on that anthology project now and I'm not gonna be able to get a page for you next week -- in which case expect a few belated costume shenanigans since there's a few more characters I didn't get to dress up yet. c:

Necropony's feeling left out!

posted at 6:54pm on October 31st, 2013

Comment by keith_m043

You doing trick or treat duty too?

posted at 6:59pm on October 31st, 2013

Heavens no, I have too much work still to do on this project. xD THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING FOR HALLOWEEN

posted at 7:01pm on October 31st, 2013

Reply by keith_m043

Argh, one of these days I'll learn to read everything before I post. Have fun with the anthology.

posted at 7:24pm on October 31st, 2013

Comment by CanvasWolfDoll

have to be honest, i never would have expected crossdressing. or for it to be played so casually. interesting bunch they much be.

(unless this is foreshadowing some sort of shocking reveal)

(except i read that one essay you did on the bechdel test)

(unless tareth and xira start talking about guys a bunch from here on out...)

posted at 7:57pm on October 31st, 2013

Reply by CanvasWolfDoll

and i just realized jonan and xira switched movies.

posted at 8:12pm on October 31st, 2013

Reply by Threnodi

Oh man, and after I just finished scouring comments the other day to verify Shazz refers to Xira as a 'he' after my husband made some comment about 'that psion girl'...
(But but she did, so I'm maintaining he -is- a he and this just makes my husband and I even for the first page or two when I thought Tareth was a boy XD)

posted at 11:00pm on October 31st, 2013

A couple of people have responded to this page with "OH OKAY I thought Xira was male but I wasn't sure..." I'M WAY ENTERTAINED BY THE IMPLICATION THAT HE'S MORE MASCULINE IN A DRESS. xD

BUT YEAH NO, you're right: Xira's a boy, though your husband wasn't alone in getting him mixed up -- and you weren't alone in getting Tareth mixed up. xD APPARENTLY I AM A MASTER OF AMBIGUOUS GENDERS

posted at 5:07pm on November 1st, 2013

You should have a purple-haired elf character... :)

posted at 12:47pm on November 2nd, 2013

Reply by Asterai

Are... where are you from? Where I'm from, cross-dressing on Halloween is far from unheard of. I mean, there's people dressing up as other species. Is that really less extreme in your mind than dressing up as another gender?

posted at 2:44pm on November 1st, 2013

Asterai, where I'm from (aka southernish America) it's pretty dependent on the kind of people you hang out with! I have one group of friends that really wouldn't bat an eyelash, and another group of friends that, while they wouldn't have Jonan's reaction, would burst into giggles and exclamations because it would be so different from what they're used to! People dress up as animals or whatever all the time for Halloween and that's expected -- wearing a really super-(cross)gendered outfit is unexpected to some people and not weird at all to others! Just depends on what you're used to.

I gotta admit, as someone who has a few friends who crossdress just 'cause it's neat, I like the idea that it wouldn't be so much WHOAAA YOU'RE WEARING A DRESS THAT'S SO WEIRD and more of "oh dude I did not expect you to look that good in a dress?????" Both Sev and Xira are pretty secure in their masculinity/lack thereof and would be chill about that sort of thing. xD

Jonan thinks it's weird though.

posted at 5:01pm on November 1st, 2013

Reply by Asterai

(Scuffles feet.) Okay, I do know surprise is a common enough reaction in many places (and in many sectors of society, even in metropolitan SoCal where I live). Thing is, I ALSO like to deliberately try to make people feel like they're the awkward one when they act all surprised at someone breaking traditional gender roles.

This is partly an "on principle" thing for me (srsly guys, using "gay" as a synonym for "stupid/bad" is not okay) and a little bit self defense (I'm straight/cissexual/cisgender, but there's plenty about traditional gender stereotypes I REALLY don't fit).

So that's what I was doing to CanvasWolfDoll. Trying to make him feel awkward for acting like cross-dressing was weird. ESPECIALLY since it's a frigging Halloween costume, where people are already blurring the lines of their normal identities anyways; you'd think the social pressure to be "normal" could relax, just for once. One day. It seems so little to ask.

posted at 7:09pm on November 1st, 2013

Shoot, the thing is that I really agree with you on the principle. D: I think it would be really cool if people weren't made to feel awkward and weird for enjoying cross-gendered clothing. Even in really accepting circles that are 100% okay with different orientations and gender identities, I've seen people look down on others for wearing the "wrong" clothes unless they have a "good excuse" (like officially being trans* or something). I agree: that sucks!!

That's a big part of why I got really excited when I realised Xira would make a pretty great Esmeralda, haha!

But that's also why I don't want to make it an awkward subject for anyone. ;u; If someone was surprised to see a guy wearing traditionally feminine clothes, well cool! Check out how it can be not all that weird, and people can be okay with it! None of the comments so far have said anything nasty about it or put anyone down, so I don't wanna make anyone feel crappy just because it's new and different. That seems to defeat the purpose. ;u;

AKA YOU ARE ALL COOL AND ALL OF US HAVE DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES WITH DIFFERENT THINGS SO LET'S ALL BE FRIENDS TO EACH OTHER AND WE CAN JUST LEARN NEW THINGS TOGETHER ; u ; <3

posted at 8:04pm on November 1st, 2013

Reply by CanvasWolfDoll

i never said crossdressing was weird, just an uncommon thing to see in the webcomics i read. i am a fan of eddie izzard after all.

posted at 8:26pm on November 1st, 2013

Comment by NoRAd

Honestly, I think the Aladdin costume fit Sev's personality better, but this one takes advantage of his tentacles. Bravo.

Also... Jonan shaved? Crazy.

posted at 10:35pm on October 31st, 2013

Hahahaha, I think you're right -- overall the last page was more fitting personality-wise and this page was more STUFF I THOUGHT THEY'D LOOK CUTE IN (thus why Tareth is Sally instead of Alice b/c I REALLY WANTED TO DRAW HER AS SALLY)

And nawwwww, his goatee is still intact, he just did his best to make it a Jafar-beard (if you mean his head, his hair would be hiding under the turban. He's kinda got a receding hairline but normally he does his best to cover that up).

posted at 5:12pm on November 1st, 2013

Oh man, both Halloween pages are awesome! Xira really can pull off Esmeralda. I can't decide if Jonan is more like Frollo or Jafar---they're both so like him (and that is really kind of bad, Jonan)! But I will say that necropony is way too happy to be Iago. Oh OH! Frollo does have a horse!

posted at 12:44am on November 1st, 2013

Hehehehehee thank you! *u* IT'S TRUE THO. He's uptight, terrifying, and slightly heartless like Frollo but has Jafar's sense of style and tendency to occasionally throw tantrums. Basically you throw Frollo and Jafar into a pot and stir well and add just a dash of Facilier and I think you get Jonan.

(NECROPONY WOULD BE HILARIOUS TRYING TO BE FROLLO'S HORSE.

THAT HORSE IS SO FREAKING HUGE AND NECROPONY COMES UP TO HIS WAIST AT BEST)

posted at 5:17pm on November 1st, 2013

Comment by Artificer-Urza

Hmmm... Nope, still hearing Tony Jay for Jonan.

posted at 11:14am on November 1st, 2013

Hahahaha, I'M TOTALLY OKAY WITH THIS.

(My own like... headcanon is very different - a lot of people give him a Tony Jay/ Alan Rickman sort of voice WHICH IS PRETTY GREAT; I've always imagined him a little closer to Jafar in pitch (minus the, uh, flamboyance) -- he wants it to be all even and low like Frollo's, but it's not as deep as he'd like and gets high-pitched and out of control when he's upset. BUT THAT'S JUST ME.)

NOT THAT IT MATTERS SINCE I THINK JONAN'S HAD LIKE 6 SPOKEN LINES TOTAL IN THIS COMIC

posted at 5:21pm on November 1st, 2013

Comment by Riverfox237

*dies laughing*

I love his nervous laugh when she mentions being hunted down for witchcraft OH MY WORD that is SO PERFECT XDXDXD

Love these, glad you did another addition!

posted at 12:59pm on November 1st, 2013

"HAHAHAHAHAHA YEAH THAT SURE IS RIDICULOUS AND NOT A THING THAT WOULD EVER HAPPEN, HAHAHAHAHAHA"

posted at 5:23pm on November 1st, 2013

Oh my everyone was so caught up in the (I guess totally unintentional) gender stuff, that I thought no one else will bother to mention how great that joke is! :D

posted at 12:53pm on November 2nd, 2013

Shazzbaa, please could you sometime (or maybe your brother?) put all the neat filler/extra stuff under the neat and inactive "Extras" button in the heading.
I know they aren't gone and can be found via some arcane and obscure ritual, but it would be SO cool if you put them under the "Extras".

I know you have some major project right now (you just said in the author's comment box thing); but when you have some time sometime, maybe. Please? Thanks! [/pester]

posted at 1:03pm on November 2nd, 2013

That's the plan!

posted at 6:32pm on November 2nd, 2013

At some point, Shazz linked to the filler archive, and I circumvented the accessibility problem by just bookmarking that link. It's a couple of steps, but all the lovely extra stuff is there!
Here's a link to the newest filler page:

posted at 6:22pm on November 2nd, 2013