March 11th, 2013

In case you were wondering

The vote incentive contains more little kids this time. c:

I'M SORRY SHAZZ ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT ARE LOA'S PARENTS GETTING IT ON AWKWARDLY.

But damn, Jonan, it's handy that you write so fast!

posted at 11:43pm on March 11th, 2013

Reply by NoRAd

My guess is that he probably wrote it out after Sev asked, but didn't pull it out 'till he was asked again.

Also, they probably did it doggie style?

posted at 3:54am on March 12th, 2013

Reply by Sandy

Tea. just came out of. my nose.
It was hot tea, and you're to blame.

posted at 10:29am on March 12th, 2013

Reply by Ryan S

Well, usually it's milk. I don't know which I prefer =D Probably good for your nose, right?

posted at 10:38am on March 12th, 2013

Reply by Rachel

Well, admittedly if they messed around enough to have a child, they probably weren't THAT awkward about it! 8D

*PROBABLY ISN'T HELPING*

posted at 8:36pm on March 12th, 2013

YEAH APPARENTLY HE'S REALLY SPEEDY IDK

But seriously you guys why is everyone picturing this, how can you imagine this, you don't even know which one is which

(his dad is the human) #helpful

posted at 8:38pm on March 12th, 2013

Reply by Asterai

Makes sense. There can be... mechanical problems... when the mom is much smaller than the dad.

What's got me curious is, if this thing is possible, why would it be unique?

...My immediately following guess is that dad was a runewriter, a very talented and very eccentric one, and he tinkered a bit in order to have a kid with his sweetheart.

posted at 12:19am on March 13th, 2013

Reply by Kwaj

Dad was a 'shifter; they did it once as moon wolves, once as humans, and once in their natural forms. Result: rare, magic baby!

posted at 5:45pm on March 18th, 2013

Reply by Tehbeefer

I blame Kiri, it's the "don't think about pink elephants", right? =)

Personally and for whatever reason, the comment quickly brought to mind that old sterotypical/clichéd romance scene with the rowboat in a small lake, only with Loa’s mum (parasol over her shoulder, of course) crammed into a bonnet and flowery dress towering over our rowing gentleman. Also, the back end of the boat is probably nearly underwater.

posted at 2:39am on March 13th, 2013

Reply by Jeweleya

THIS. This comment is so perfect. Thank you for this mental image! Hahaha!

posted at 1:51am on March 16th, 2013

Comment by wandering-dreamer

I hate to comment about this but the flow of some of the word bubbles is a bit confusing, I keep reading "but assumedly" before"he was born" since it's farther to the left and it seems like it's supposed to flow from "but assumedly" to "he was born" and then "nor was he". I figured it out after a second try but it was awkward enough that I thought it was worth mentioning. >.<

posted at 11:50pm on March 11th, 2013

Glad you figured it out! The neither/nor across those panels probably helps, haha. But it's probably just the weird borders that do it.

posted at 8:49pm on March 12th, 2013

Comment by Tehbeefer

Kid-Johan is all happy and eager because time for necropony.

posted at 12:10am on March 12th, 2013

Oh gosh "necropony" is an adorable word

If I were a little kid I'm pretty sure I'd be excited to make my own a zombie pony, I won't lie.

posted at 8:40pm on March 12th, 2013

Reply by Asterai

Actually, this kinda makes me think the pony mighta been a beloved pet before it died - and Jonan resurrected it. I'd have been pretty fucking happy, as a twelve year old child, if I thought I could bring back my cat's awareness/personality to its body, minus the pain of its illness.

posted at 12:17am on March 13th, 2013

Comment by Cony

I take it that a caffeinated gerbil has a fast metabolism...

posted at 4:41am on March 12th, 2013

Comment by Hengekeeper

This page makes me really happy. :3

Hurrah, for explaining the way the rune systems actually work. Also...
"I like big orcs and I cannot lie!" XD

posted at 3:40pm on March 12th, 2013

At this rate we'll get like, ONE TINY PIECE OF EXPLANATION PER CHAPTER

But ahhhhh thank you very much! :"D

(Somewhere in one of my sketchbooks I actually do have a sketch of Loa's parents that has "he likes big wolves and he cannot lie" written on it.)

posted at 8:46pm on March 12th, 2013

Yay for unexpected update. But where did it come from?

posted at 5:34pm on March 12th, 2013

It's the normal update for this week! xD It was just up in the evening on Monday rather than EXACTLY AT MIDNIGHT like usual since I was a bit slow this week, haha

posted at 8:43pm on March 12th, 2013

Oh, okay. I didn't notice, because I couldn't check the comic last week. Ha, "extra update" for me :D

posted at 3:17am on March 13th, 2013

Comment by Artificer-Urza

So runewriters instinctively know what runes they can use and how to cast?

posted at 7:25pm on March 12th, 2013

According to this page they instinctively know a "first rune," and the magic words they have to say to activate their runes! c:

posted at 8:44pm on March 12th, 2013

Comment by Riverfox237

I WAS wondering! Like, a lot. Thank you for explaining! ^^ Seriously, I kept forgetting to ask how runewriters come up with their one word and all that. I also like learning that muulorns are born with their markings ON THEIR FUR, which is pretty schway.

Jonan totally just blew off her question there. Then again, he's probably been very busy writing up that little expose, so I suppose we can excuse him for now. What I REALLY want to know is what Sev's "Wait, WHAT?" is all about. Because with Sev, these things are usually very interesting. XD

And I love the description of Sev having the metabolism of a cafeinnated gerbil. Also, kid-Taerith is ADORABLE, and sorta reminds me of the story I read about Helen Keller's childhood before her mentor came around.

posted at 9:36pm on March 12th, 2013

Ahhhh I'm always excited to get a chance to share how it works a little more! I'M NOT SURE WHY I DECIDED TO USE A WEIRD MAGIC SYSTEM FOR MY FIRST GO AT WRITING A FANTASY COMIC but I'm super excited you guys are digging it!

OH MAN I HAD A LITTLE LIKE, COMIC-ADAPTED VERSION OF HELLEN KELLER'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY AS A KID, I'M GETTING FLASHBACKS TO IT NOW, YOU ARE TOTALLY RIGHT

posted at 9:58pm on March 15th, 2013

Comment by Karen

Is... Is that Suzanne and Lope in the background?

posted at 10:49am on March 13th, 2013

It's not BUT NOW I WISH I HAD DONE THAT omg

posted at 9:40pm on March 15th, 2013

Comment by Mer

AWWW lil' Jonan is surprisingly adorable!! I applaud you on making a character in a recognizably younger form! 'Tis something I have yet to master xD

Also: Jonan is now officially my favourite character :D

posted at 11:17pm on March 13th, 2013

Ahhhh thank you very much! I THINK IT'S PROBABLY THE NOSE. (tho he still has that overbite.)

It's a shame there aren't a ton of flashbacks in RW, 'cause I have way too much fun figuring out what everyone looked like as kids. xD

posted at 9:45pm on March 15th, 2013

Comment by Lady Myuu

I kinda wanna see Loa as a baby, because I am imagining a PUFFY CHILD. When I read this comic I was just like "there totally talking about the mechanics of the parents in the comments"

BEHOLD THE INTERNET DOES NOT FAIL MY PREDICTIONS!

posted at 8:51am on March 14th, 2013

Hahahahahaha in retrospect I'm not sure why I didn't see this coming. I figured it would come up eventually but NOT RIGHT AWAY FOR SOME REASON? Oh internet, you so crazy.

(omg I haven't drawn LittleKid!Loa since his last redesign..... but I will save him until we've actually met him in the comic, I think. xD )

posted at 9:49pm on March 15th, 2013

They've changed so much since they were kids! Well, I guess Sev hasn't really.

Also, kid Jonan: Cutest. Child. Ever.

posted at 6:15pm on March 14th, 2013

Comment by Grumpy-Old-Snake

...I have to wonder. What did your normal handwriting look like before you started hand lettering comics, and what does it look like now?

posted at 7:20pm on March 15th, 2013

Not that different! I kind of go into "lettering mode" when I letter, so I *CAN* write neatly if I need to, but normally my handwriting hasn't improved at all. xD If you look at vote incentives from earlier TNH strips and vote incentives in Runewriters now, you can see how my normal handwriting has or hasn't changed.

(The only thing that's different from back then is that I changed my lowercase "y" because I got sick of them being all curvy, but that was a new year's resolution that had nothing to do with my handlettering experience. xD )

posted at 10:07pm on March 15th, 2013

Reply by Grumpy Old Snake

Ah, that's cool. How long does lettering take, and how do you keep the fonts straight/consistent? For the longest time, until I started searching through alt text and stuff, I thought you were using type set that you somehow magically blended with your writing for the odder parts... which makes less sense in retrospect. xD

posted at 10:16pm on March 17th, 2013

Comment by Grumpy Old Snake

...I've just noticed that Jonan is *still* keeping his eyes closed. Hmm.

posted at 10:18pm on March 17th, 2013

Comment by Hengekeeper

I think I may no a little more of how your rune system, and ritual magic systems work, but I am still very curious to see how you have adapted them and changed them to your own world.

I know this is not the Forlorn Isle of Henge, but all the little tie ins, and similarities still make me really happy when I see them. XD

posted at 7:01pm on March 18th, 2013