January 13th, 2014

Alrighty, you guys! It's official -- Runewriters is on hiatus for this year. I don't know 100% when I'll be back in action, but I'll let you guys know where stuff stands at the beginning of 2015 at least!

I've got a full explanation of what led me to this decision over here, but if you'd rather avoid the personal stuff, the short version is that I'm moving in with my grandmother, and I've decided to put all my personal projects on hold so I can focus on being with her. :")

If you want to keep up with me in the meantime,
you can follow me on twitter for comments about, just, like, my life,
you can follow me on tumblr for any sketches and stuff I happen to post,
you can watch me on deviantart if you only want to be alerted to FINISHED ART,
you can follow the Athena Studio twitter if you want to be alerted by tweets when I come back but don't actually want to be inundated with tweets about my life,
and you can follow Runewriters on tumblr if you just want to be there for whenever Runewriters starts up again!

Okay, I think that's everything. Thanks to everyone who's been so understanding. ;u; I'll see you when I get back!

Comment by myIDID

Aww, enjoy the time with your grandmother and I hope you are feeling less awful soon.

posted at 10:26pm on January 13th, 2014

Comment by Rolfie

I'll miss Runewriters every Tuesday morning, but it's way way more important for you to take time for your family. It must have been phenomenally hard for all of you .n. Take good care of yourself, and I'll be praying for you!

posted at 11:48pm on January 13th, 2014

Comment by WinterJay

Oh Shazz, we'll miss ya! Thanks for letting us know, though. We love Runewriters, but we love YOU more! We know at least a little bit of how much you need to take this time off for your family and to.... well, to be true to yourself and to take care of yourself and your beliefs. I don't really know how to say what I mean, haha! Shazz, you're awesome. I'll join Rolfie in praying for you! <3

posted at 11:53pm on January 13th, 2014

Comment by PK

It sounds like you both need this. I'm relieved to hear it's not that your grandmother is really sick or something -- that's where my thoughts went when I read your previous post so I was kind of alarmed. And I hope you both find it healing and refreshing.

But... while it's clearly the right thing for you and it would be graceless to object to your responsible and loving priorities... I hope you will forgive me for confessing that I'll miss your story.

posted at 12:12am on January 14th, 2014

Comment by Wabbajack

My first and selfish reaction: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

But then I came to my senses and read the post on Tumblr, and now I am going to CRY. ;A; I'm so sorry for all the damn cruddy things happening and this is probably going to be the one time where I really won't mind if an artist goes on hiatus. You're right -- you need this. (I just wish I'd known about your mother earlier and I would've felt less like an idiot)

posted at 12:32am on January 14th, 2014

Reply by Wabbajack

Also I thought I'd just mention -- this hiatus makes me respect you even more. I've always seen the theme of Runewriters as being something along the lines of "helping others in need" and it makes me extremely happy that you're practicing what you preach.

(You're a super nice person I'm not going to lie)

posted at 10:54am on January 18th, 2014

Comment by net-diver

will gladly await your return :)

posted at 1:35am on January 14th, 2014

Comment by The Occupant

We'll miss you and eagerly wait for the resumption of this wonderful comic.
I wish you and your grandmother well. Best hopes and prayers to the both of you. :)

posted at 2:35am on January 14th, 2014

Comment by Ikwig

Holding you and your grandmother in the light; proud of you for making the decision you needed to, even if it was difficult. Thank you for sharing your wonderful artistic and storytelling abilities with us random people on the internet - I'll look forward to checking back here at the beginning of next year!

posted at 6:44am on January 14th, 2014

Comment by ShinyHappyGoth

Ditto to everything everyone else just said, and a suggestion: could you give everyone a little advance notice when you're coming back, so we can reread the archives and remember what's going on? ;-)

posted at 7:56am on January 14th, 2014

Comment by NoRAd

My last grandparent died last year, so I would like to say treasure what time you do have with her. Keep being a great person, and hopefully I'll see your work continue next year.

posted at 9:21am on January 14th, 2014

Comment by Meggyc

I think that's an absolutely admirable reason for a hiatus and I wish the best for you and your grandmother. I hope you take time out in 2014 for yourself. You deserve it.

Runewriters really is one of my favorite comics and I'll always look forward to seeing the next installment, but your family and your wellbeing should always come first.

posted at 7:53pm on January 14th, 2014

Comment by Threnodi

The comments from others above much say it all, but I wanted to add my support. I love your story and have always found you admirable; your streams and posts have been inspiring not just in terms of being a good artist, but in being a good person. I'll miss hearing from you as often, and you can bet I'll miss Runewriters! But this sounds like a decision made for all the right reasons, and I wish you and your family all the best. : )

posted at 10:24pm on January 14th, 2014

Comment by Ramen

Enjoy the time with your grandmother, and make the apsolute most out of it. I look forward to the comic when you resume again. Have fun!

posted at 12:11am on January 15th, 2014

Comment by David

Love Runewriters, and I'll miss it while it's gone, but you as a person are more important. Take the time, have fun with your grandmother, heal. Good luck!

posted at 1:28am on January 15th, 2014

Comment by Jasmine

I just wanted to let you know that you're one of my favorite artists ever. Not just because of your art or your storytelling - although both of those are excellent - but also because of your awesome personality. Your reasons for putting your comic on hiatus just make me respect you more. I hope you have an enjoyable, refreshing year, and I hope life works out to allow you to finish this comic in the future.

posted at 8:14am on January 15th, 2014

Comment by Zen

I won't say I'm not sad; I love your art and writing and all of your online works- not just Runewriters- has a spot on my favorites list, but I seriously respect and empathize with your reasoning. Sometimes taking a break to recover from life is a good thing, and I think you and those around you might come out better for it. I do hope you'll be able to relax and do the things you enjoy at both your own pace and with the ones you love! :) I really hope you feel better and I can't wait to see what you've got in store for us when you return!

posted at 2:59am on January 16th, 2014

Really gonna miss these updates and will eagerly await their return. Enjoy your time off though! Hope you and your grandmother both have fun hanging out with each other. :) See you on Twitter!

posted at 5:07am on January 17th, 2014

Comment by Fal

Have a good year!

posted at 10:43am on January 17th, 2014

Comment by EmilyS

I'm quite sad you'll be gone the whole year, BUT caring for loved ones of course comes first! ^^ Enjoy your time with your grandmother :)

posted at 2:27pm on January 19th, 2014

Comment by Dominic

It's important to take care of yourself and your family. I'll keep you in my prayers.

posted at 9:04am on January 20th, 2014

Comment by Cony

I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said several times already, but I hope that you enjoy your time with your grandmother.

posted at 4:29pm on January 20th, 2014

Comment by Ebony

My family will be praying for yours if you'd like!
Glad you could be spending this time with your grandmother!

posted at 11:01pm on January 20th, 2014

Comment by Frogsnack

Shazzmatazz! I'm so sorry to hear all of this, but it's truly wonderful that you're going to invest you time in the healing of yourself and your grandmother, it's inspiring.

Would it help to post fanart now and again? (Although for a whole year would be difficult to keep up with).

Please let us know how you're doing from time to time, we'll (the hubby and I) will be praying for your peace.

posted at 6:01pm on January 21st, 2014

Comment by Hiai

I'm REALLY going to miss the comic, just as I really missed (still do, actually)TNH. But knowing your personal situation I'm just glad that you are making a wise decision to heal emotionally and reconnect with your family and focus on the most important things in life.

If you should be feeling bored and creative in six months instead of twelve, I won't complain! But seriously, take as much time as you need, we will all be here waiting as patiently we can and sending our prayers and positive vibes your way.

posted at 3:44am on January 22nd, 2014

Comment by Tama-chan

I'm going to miss you AND your comic sooooo much! No matter how long it takes, your fans eagerly await your next Runewriters. Or fat animal. Or silly sketch. :3
Waiting quietly,
Tamarillo-chan

posted at 12:52am on January 23rd, 2014

Comment by HeavyliftSGT

I just happened to find this link through Witch's Quarry, and sat here and read the whole seties. There is some awesome drawing and great story line. I will be back!! Thanks for taking the time to entertain us!!

posted at 11:48am on January 29th, 2014

Reply by PK

It is great, isn't it? I hope she does come back to it someday.

posted at 4:19am on January 30th, 2014

Comment by Line Noise

I can see that you feel you are spending too much time on your personal art and not enough on the personal in your life. But remember that grandma and others you want to spend time with might also enjoy your art. That it might be a source of conversation for them and that they might not want to feel that they are "the reason" that you are not doing what you love.
In short don't feel the need to abandon any part of your life, just try to put all things in balance

posted at 11:24pm on February 5th, 2014

Comment by Verethragna

Sooo....I just stayed up way to long to read this comic^^ (6 AM here and I planned to get up at 9...oh well...)
At least 2014 is (somewhat) nearly over

posted at 11:56pm on September 26th, 2014

Comment by Frogsnack

Hope you are doing well, Shazz. Just checking in, hoping your year is going well so far!

posted at 7:30pm on November 13th, 2014